Osama bin Laden was one of the most secretive and infamous characters in the world. Everything about him was open to speculation, investigation, and conspiracy theories, including his death. Let’s go over the points of contention of Osama’s death, with my opinion:
- No photo/no video. This was a red flag for many. I personally wanted to see it for closure. We’re taking the government’s word on it. U.S. officials say that DNA evidence confirms with 99.9 percent accuracy that it was the body of Osama bin Laden by comparing physical evidence from bin Laden’s sister. After she died of brain cancer at Massachusetts General Hospital years earlier, the FBI subpoenaed her body so that it could later be used. Her brain was preserved, and blood and tissue samples were taken and used to compile a DNA profile. Detailed photo analysis as well as matching features and height also helped confirm the identity of the Al Qaeda leader. Again, this is what we’re told. U.S. officials have a history of withholding the truth, lying, or being mistaken (Gulf of Tonkin, Watergate, Iran Contra, Iraq WMD, and many other incidents that are NOT conspiracy theories).
- Burial at sea. My first reaction was: HUH? Does anyone remember the end of The Blob movie or is that too old for you? Here it is: The Blob ending. Because that’s what the U.S. military did to The Blob. The official explanation was that no country wanted the body, and that the U.S. was observing Muslim laws of burial (within 24 hours). There are two things that are wrong with this: 1) Why respect Osama? and 2) There’s no precedence for it in U.S. history. Saddam Hussein’s sons weren’t thrown in the ocean: their bodies were held for 11 days because no one wanted them. What about the thousands of Muslims the U.S. killed on the battlefield or from the sky? The defense is that President Obama didn’t want to enrage the Muslim community. Of course, assassinating Osama would have been offensive enough, don’t you think? You would have thought that the body would have been brought back to the U.S. for further testing. But again, new administration, new rules, right? That’s the official reason: Obama didn’t want to offend.
- Pakistan says no. Take it with a grain of salt, but most of the conspiracy theories come out of Pakistan. Go to any college campus there and ask around (or just watch Youtube or CNN videos), and you’ll see. Osama was killed years ago. Osama is alive. Or there was no firefight. Or Osama was executed and did not resist. Or Osama was not in Pakistan, etc. I don’t believe any of it: Pakistan tries to placate terrorist groups and the United States at the same time. They are caught in the middle of the War on Terror. Did the U.S. really enter Pakistan airspace and territory without permission? It is better for them to deny everything.
- Osama was a patsy. An Iranian Ismail Kosari said Osama “was just a puppet controlled by the Zionist regime in order to present a violent image of Islam after the September 11 attacks. Bin Laden’s death reflects the passing of a temporary US pawn, and symbolizes the end of one era and the beginning of another in American policy in the region.” Ironically, people like Jesse Ventura, Alex Jones, and other 9/11 Truth Movement members believe this (minus the Zionist connection). Osama “knew too much” and had to be taken out. President Ahmadinejad said “I have exact information that bin Laden was held by the American military for some time… until the day they killed him he was a prisoner held by them,”
- Who benefits? President Bush benefited from Osama being alive all of those years, so that his War on Terror could continue and be financially supported by Congress. It would be harder (but not impossible) to continue his undeclared wars if, say, Osama was killed when the first bombs fell on Afghanistan. One of Bob Woodward’s books clearly printed quotes from U.S. officials saying that U.S. drones saw that Osama was hiding in plain site in a major city in Pakistan years ago. By the way, wasn’t Osama on a kidney dialysis machine back in the day? Was he really downgraded and just a symbol? Was he really hiding from hundreds of satellites and spies or was he allowed to live? President Obama benefited by getting “points” for finally getting someone who has been demonized as the modern day version of Adolf Hitler. Those political points can never be erased, no matter how much the libertarians say it unconstitutional or how much the neo-cons say it was the Navy Seals who actually did it.
Well, what do you think? Is there anything to these Osama bin Laden Death conspiracy theories or did the U.S. handle the public relations wrong?
This article is protected by the First Amendment.