With Matt Drudge linking the latest TSA controversies and attacking Big Sis, and the YouTube being lit up with TSA footage from mobile recording devices, I think it’s random deep thought provoking issues time:
1) Are you a compliant personality type? If so, you have no problem with the post 9/11 world we live in at airports. Maybe you’re even used to getting pulled off line and patted down. When I say “no problem”, I mean you don’t cause a hassle or scene because you know you don’t want to be delayed, fined, or arrested, so you just “do the job”. On the other hand, the non-conformists, rebellious spirits, conspiracy theorists, and anti-social travelers take issue with the TSA rules and start fights and protest.
2) Do you remember FDR? If you were alive during the Great Depression or World War II era than you also may have been conditioned to make sacrifices for your country and will comply with things to keep this country safe. Conversely, non-compliant Generations X and Y and some Baby Boomers have issues with the TSA body scan vs pat down choice because they are more…how can I say it…selfish.
3) Are you a rich white man? Then you may feel privileged, and thanks to other rich white men like Rush, Beck, and Drudge stirring the pot, you may want to cause a scene because you believe Muslims and Arabs should be frisked, not you. But, when push comes to shove, you will keep your mouth shut and pass through the body scanner so you can fly to your golf trip. Yes, friends, Angry White Men may have formed this country, but they never saw Vegas.
4) For those of you who are typing “I’m not flying anymore”: your tune will change when you or your wife and kids want to go to on vacation or funeral or for business reasons.
5) DAILYSKEW PREDICTION: The enhanced pat downs and body scanners will be part of our every day lives no matter how mnay people in their underwear protest on message board forums. Drudge Report can continue to cover this all week, but Big Sis won’t change a thing, and the TSA doesn’t care if you miss your flight.
6) Body Scan Radiation Conspiracies: I have a better one for you (a real fact)- you get hit with more radiation from flying in an airplane than walking through the machine. And the sad part is the government allows for this because the people who do develop cancer from flying are “negligible”. You can read this on Cecil Adams’ website and books.
7) Feeeeeeeeelings. Everyone has feeeeeelings. Guess what? From my tone you may think I support the TSA and am compliant. Actually I am a sniveling Generation X single child who absolutely was against the TSA from Day 1. My last flight I had to empty my pockets, remove my belt, take off my sneakers, unload my laptop, had my sunglasses broken, they searched my bags, threw out my water bottle, was yelled at by TSA for not moving fast enough, went through some scanner in Detroit with a white mist to check for bomb residue, and then was questioned by U.S. Customs for having a non-White wife. I was against the TSA and President Bush wire taps. I have major issues with Gitmo. I hate being treated like a criminal suspect at an airport in my homeland. It doesn’t change the fact that I can do nothing to stop it. Matt Drudge is the most influential internet personality and even he will not reform the system. MEANWHILE, the radio talking heads are first in line to criticize when a terrorist “gets through” or a person is carrying something he shouldn’t be. In other words, the hyprocrits were all for TSA having more and more power- Drudge included., but they have started complaining with the body scanners.
8) Rights vs Privilege: I loathe when Defenders of the System say that it is not a right for us to fly on an airplane; it is a privilege. They use this legal argument to defend how we have no right to privacy at airports anymore. The slippery slope is that if law enforcement, code enforcement, the State, GoogleFacebook, and others continue to take our so-called privileges away, we will have nothing left. Although it may not hold up in court, I don’t look at things under the right vs privilege rule of law. The Declaration of Independence said it best: “Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”. Bush and Company believed that the greater good to protect us from terrorism required sacrifice. Ultimately, the post 9/11 Earth (Earth-Zero) is an era of no privacy and getting searched at sporting events, airports, and any other self-important building (from court houses to clerks).
9) Clinging to privacy is a losing battle. No current generation, as a whole, has any conception of what online privacy is, and we in effect, have signed off on online privacy. We, as a community, have signed off on installing traffic light cameras. Our laws permitted Google Earth, which is a truly apt name for the current era we live in.
10) “It is what it is”. I would rather be inconveinced by the TSA than drive across states. If my wife wants to go to ROME, I’m not taking a ship. It is just not practical to avoid flying. It is not pragmatic to “cause a scene” if you bought a plane ticket and need to be somewhere. If this was 1945, all Muslims and Arabs would be put in work camps in California. That would be wrong. Assuming all terrorists are Arab is also wrong (see Timothy McVeigh). If this was 1955, our society would permit only patting down Muslims, and patting down white people, kids, and the elderly would not be acceptable. We are in 2010 where everyone is entitled to equal protection of law. Yes, it’s politically correct, but the very nature of terrorism means that anyone is a suspect. “Privelges” are not reserved for Angry White Men.
11) Welcome to the bureaucratic machine, also called a Republic/Democracy. Washington creates a law in response to something uncivilized criminals took advantage of. The law and intent gets trickled down all the way to local supervisors and the grunt laborers. Everything is subject to interpretation at every level. Lazy Man Ethics shall always rule supreme, but it is especially prevalent in Earth Zero, where everyone practices CYA and politically correctness reigns.
Solutions? Some tweaks to the system, otherwise deal with it, shut up, and walk through the body scanner.