- The death count for the Volleyball Game Jan 1 Suicide bombing is at over 88 people and more than 100 others are injured in Pakistan. It looks like the Taliban were behind this attack, which is called the 2010 Lakki Marwat suicide bombing. The bomber drove a rigged vehicle right in the middle of a playground because the villagers had formed an anti-Taliban peace committee.
- Yemen killed two al-Qaeda “militants” who have been threatening embassis in Yemen. Many embasses are now closed in Yemen. Yemen has been making headlines all week for cracking down on al-Qaeda.
- Over 1,000 people have been evacuated after days of flooding in New South Wales, Australia.
- Norwegian chess grandmaster Magnus Carlsen is now the youngest world number one in FIDE history at the age of 19. With a name like “Magnus” it’s no wonder he’s a grandmaster.
- The Tower of Babel was built in Dubai. Burj Dubai is open for business today and is 2,684 feet high.
- It’s cold and it’s snowing, folks. Imagine if there WAS no global warming! Ha!
- Don’t panic, friends, but Newark Airport in New Jersey was locked down (actually only Terminal C, C as is craigslist) after a man breached security by walking on the wrong side of a security checkpoint. All flights were grounded. It is now opened and everyone was rescreened but the mystery man has not been found.
- Recent mudslides in Brazil claimed the lives of at least 70 people.
- 8,000 people have been evacuated in Columbia due to the erruption of the volcano Galeras.
- Speaking of volcanoes, the legendary volcano in the Philippines- Mayon- will erupt any day now.
- A magintude 6.5 earthquake hit the Solomon Islands, with aftershocks. If a tree falls down in the woods and no one is around to hear it- does it make a sound? You bet! Every action has repercussions- butterfly effect, baby!
- Perhaps you’ve heard about the latest Somali pirate kidnappings since December 29. That’s right, two more ships were taken hostage by the pirates, and the world still allows small businesses and governments to pay ransoms to free these workers after months of captivity.
- Speaking of Somalia, one report that received a lot of MEDIA attention was how an axe-weilding Somali man tried to assassinate cartoonist Kurt Westergaard. Westergaard is notorious for drawing Mohammed with a bomb. [OPINION ALERT] I’m not excusing this crazy Somali, but what did you expect, Kurt? Was that cartoon worth it?
- The Avatar movie’s worldwide gross numbers are in: Avatar has made $1 billion dollars around the world so far, easily making a profit and then some.
Latest World News- Good morning and HAPPY NEW YEAR, DailySkew readers. I hope you are so insipired to get back to work this morning and break all of your New Year’s Resolutions. This is Ozzy Mann reporting LIVE from the Internet for this morning’s Latest World News briefs (provided by the Ministry of Truth – MOT News).
OPINION ALERT: Please realize how BLESSED YOU are that you can be reading this. You didn’t get killed in an earthquake, volcano, mudslide, or terrorist attack. Think about that the next time you complain about your co-worker, neighbor, family member, or your finances.