Movie critics are especially hard on Ice Age, Ice Age: The Meltdown, and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (Rotten Tomatoes ranks Ice Age 1-3 as: 78%, 57%, and 45%). The leading complaints: they are derivative, they are Pixar Lite, have cliched characters, it’s commercial, monotonous, and unnecessary.
- The setting- the animals are more unique compared to all of the other animated movies out there.
- It’s very funny.
- The characters are lovable. I like Diego the best, since he’s not as goofy as the others.
- The special effects are great.
- The voice actors stay the same for all three movies, and the tone remains the same, with the addition of a new character every movie. This allows all three movies to run smoothly if watched together (unlike, say, 1990′s Batman movies). In other words, if you liked Ice Age 1, you should like Ice Age 2 and Ice Age 3. I think the critics that run away from Ice Age with each new movie are not really reviewing the movie itself; they are protesting Hollywood being in the business of making money with sequels.
- I’d be shocked if a kid didn’t like any of these movies. I know there are exceptions, but the Ice Age trilogy just has all the elements of a great animated adventure for children.
- Too much of that squirrel, Scrat. I liked him a lot after Ice Age 1, but instead of just bookending the movies, he’s way too prominent in the next two movies.
- With Ice Age 3 featuring dinosaurs, you can tell that the studio is running out of ideas, and the Ice Age series has just become an easy cash cow. [Of course, kids love dinosaurs, so they wouldn't list this as a bad element. Plus Ice Age 3 made a ton of money.]
- As much as I like the trilogy, Ice Age 4 has the potential to be a Ben Stiller parody trailer. BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT: ICE AGE: TH4W