The Joe Horn case is a hot debate. So many liberals and conservatives are spin, spin, spinning, that I feel the urge to cut through the BS and make things SIMPLE.
Ever since 61-year-old Texan Joe Horn fatally shot two men he suspected of burglarizing his next-door neighbor’s home, he has been praised and condemned for his actions. He was found not guilty today.
Here’s what happened:
Horn saw two men robbing his neighbor’s house. They had loot, and were coming out of his windows.
Horn called 911, and explained everything.
The 911 operator told him to stay put, so he would not get hurt.
Horn thought that the police would take too long, and that his neighbor’s property would be stolen, so he left his home with his licensed shotgun and shot the men.
That should be the end of story. He should not have been forced to go to court, get all the press, and be the subject and tool of people with agendas. But in the U.S., a guy can’t even shoot CRIMINALS CAUGHT IN THE ACT who ran on his YARD without getting ripped.
Texas law is on his side.
It’s as simple as that.
Read on if you want to hear SPIN:
- The liberals say Texas law is OLD, and outdated, and his lawyer used 1800′s code to wrap neighbor’s property into it.
- That Horn wasn’t in danger himself, therefore it wasn’t self-defense.
- That Horn disobeyed the 9/11 call.
- He told the 9/11 dispatcher: “I’m not going to let them get away with it” and “I’m gonna kill them.”
- That Horn wanted to kill Hispanics.
- That Horn tailor made and created the situation by charging these men, whom we should sympathize for.
- That society’s fabric will be destroyed if we allow “exceptions” like Horn taking “the law into his own hands”.
- With all our sophistication, we’re still a part of the Old West.
- Property is more valuable than life.
- He shot those guys in the BACK!
- Can homeowners kill ANYONE on their property?
And from the conservatives:
- He’s a HERO.
- The two criminals were ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, DRUG ADDICTS, and CAREER CRIMINALS.
- Our society would be better OFF if Horn was your neighbor.
- 1973 law is clear: a person is justified in using deadly force to protect a neighbor’s property from burglary if the person reasonably believes deadly force is immediately necessary to stop the burglars from escaping with the stolen property, and if the shooter reasonably believes that “the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means.”
- The scum were IN HIS YARD, too.
- What has society come to when we are defending illegal immigrants who are breaking into our homes?
- They were running to ATTACK him, and who knows what ELSE they were going to do?
- Horn was HELPING society.
- Why is it as soon as someone takes INITIATIVE, they get blacklisted?
What does LME (lazy man ethics ™) say? Keep in mind, society is worse because of LME.
LME says he should have done nothing, not even call.
LME says that if he did call, he definitely should not have left his house.
That should tell you a lot.
Now, how about my Buddhist perspective?
The Truth is that property doesn’t really mean much in the grand scheme of things. Horn took the initiative to defend society, and he is paying for that. As an older man, he comes from a generation where people should be walking on other people’s property. He has to live locked in his home now. He’ll probably be killed one of these days.
Violence is a never-ending cycle. As far as the two criminals- it was their karma that put them in that situation, and I am not crying, nor defending them. They have a lot of karma to burn off now, and, to a lesser extent, so does Horn. But in this case, Texas law was on Horn’s side. Cosmic law? Well, that works in mysterious ways, beyond some judge. It has to do with Horn’s intentions- something we cannot know.